Monday, March 24, 2008

Spring cleaning

After the flooding disaster and laptop incident last week(plus 2 kids being out of school for Spring Break), the mess in my house kind of blew up everywhere. Now, I'm no Martha Stewart. I try to keep up with 3 kids, a husband, 4 cats, and 2 dogs but alas, it doesn't always work. To top it off, all of us are crammed into a 900 square feet house that seriously lacks storage. My husband informed me his Dad will be coming in a couple weeks to help put on a new roof, so I figured it was time to get motivated.



A couple blogs, Crystal over at http://www.biblicalwomanhoodonline.com/blog.htm host Make Your Home a Haven Mondays and another I found http://thehomespunheart.blogspot.com/, Monica is hosting a Spring Clean Challenge.




My first job to tackle was my desk and shelf in the office. Normally, it doesn't get this bad but since my laptop broke, I had to move back to my old trusty desktop full time, that I use mainly for my pictures and crafts. Here's a before picture:






Yes, there is a desk under there somewhere, lol. In my house, if you want something to be safe, it has to be out of Baby Girl's reach, so we end with a lot of piles. I found 3 VHS tapes, a shoe, several CD's, a couple confiscated toys, my coupon binder, notebook, and of course, my Walgreen's ad. After a few minutes, here is what it ended up looking like:

Told you there was a desk under there, lol. I also found the mouse pad.



After I tackled the desk, I went to the other bad catch all, some built in shelves in the corner. These used to look worse than the before pictures. I had every paper, bill, receipt, and invoice from my husband business piled on here. I invested $10 in some plastic file boxes for him and now all that is left is my junk. Here's the before:


Horrendous, I know. I have an out of control book collection and I have to put them up high or my little sticky fingers likes to play with them. This area tends to collect craft items, cd's, papers, and various odds and ends. Here is the after:




Not as gorgeous as some of yours in Bloggie Land, but a start. I also found a ton of my samples I have been receiving through the mail and I put them in my nifty sample Rubbermaid box in the closet.

So check out these blogs, http://www.biblicalwomanhoodonline.com/blog.htm and http://thehomespunheart.blogspot.com/ to get some motivation and ideas!

4 comments:

Sherry said...

I have three kids, 2 cats, dh, 3 friends that have been staying at our house for the past 5 months and I have to say -- your house looks a whole lot like my house :) Especially the desk!

Today I'm tackling basics, tomorrow -- the desk!

Sherry

http://frugaldomesticgoddess.blogspot.com/2008/03/making-your-home-haven-monday.html

Candace said...

Great job. I know how you feel. It's almost embarrassing to put pictures of my house on my blog. I sometimes feel inadequate when I see how together some folks are. I'm impressed with your accomplishments. Keep at it.

MOMMY said...

I need to tackle so many areas in our house!!! Maybe the bathroom closet first! I am ashamed to show pictures though-we will see if it gets done though! LOL

Great job on cleaning up!

thehomespunheart said...

Great job! Looks good!