Friday, November 20, 2009

Using the bits and pieces

I used to be a bad waster. Little amounts leftover from sauce, ends of bread, a handful of pasta, etc would get left in the fridge and eventually have to be thrown away. Not anymore! While I'm still not the best at it, I try my hardest to save even the miniscule amounts for a later use. Ends of bread get thrown in the freezer to be made into breadcrumbs, 1/4 of a jar of leftover spaghetti sauce gets put in a Ziploc and frozen, half a bag of pasta gets saved for a later use,sometimes 2 or more combined)


Here's a few heels that have been ran through the food processor, some Italian seasoning added and a handful of Parmesan cheese mixed in for a coating to my Oven Baked Parmesan chicken. There's a quart size bag of leftover plain spaghetti sauce from about 3 jars. Also, a half a bag of egg noodles left from Stroganoff.

Combined with some chicken breasts and mozzarella cheese, it made a yummy dinner of Oven Baked Parmesan chicken. Definitely at a fraction of the cost of 1 restaurant meal. Even with a salad added!

I even had sauce left over, so back into the freezer it went to be added to until I have enough for another meal.

I'm not fabulous at this yet, but it definitely help to become more frugal!

Check out Frugal Friday for more great ideas!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Looks yummy! Great idea about the bread crumbs. Thanks for sharing! (Visiting from Life as Mom)

Your Frugal Friend, Niki said...

Simple tip but worth so much!

:)