Thursday, July 25, 2013

Home Redo on a Budget- Rocking Chair seat repair

Joseph has wanted a rocking chair forever. He recently purchased one at a yard sale for $30. The only problem was it had a hole in the seat.
 
 
A big one.
 
 
 
Yikes.
 
Joseph's reasoning, it will be an easy fix.
 
 
After some research, easy maybe, but slightly on the expensive side to replace the wicker.
 
Sigh.
 
 
So I got to thinking of a way to fix it to where it could be used to sit in(and not pile stuff) before I banished it to the garage.
 
And then it hit me, all I would need is some plywood and stuffing.
 
Easy.
 
Now to gather supplies.
 
 
 Plywood(it was  a larger piece that I cut down. We didn't have any around here that wasn't warped so I asked Joseph to keep an eye out. He got some off a job he was doing and paid the guy $3)
 
Material for the cover(already had)
 
Staple gun
 
Poly Foam piece at Hobby Lobby for $7.99 used a 40% off coupon making it $4.79 before tax
 
Not pictured Poly-Fil to round out the front part(already had on hand)
 
The Poly Foam piece fit perfect on my cut board, so I didn't have to do any trimming there. after I place the foam on the board, I wrapped may material around it, smoothing the best I could(the material is stretchy, I didn't want  to pull it too tight so it would have some give) and started stapling.
 
 
After trimming and stapling, it was all wrapped up like a big present.
 
 
 
 
I guess I should add, before I stapled it all up, I put the poly fill on one end so there wasn't a severe edge where your legs would hang off.
 
 
 

 
All finished!
 
It's been a great temporary fix until we can be out the money to have the wicker replaced.
 
It's become Thing 2's new gaming chair(although I think Joseph has only sat in it once, sigh)
 
Time to completion, right under an hour. That includes cutting the board, and a search for more staples and reloading the gun.
 
 
 
 



 


No comments: